St. Mark's

 

'In the Power of the Holy Spirit to Make Jesus Known.'

As has happened in other areas, the first Anglican presence in the Rangeville area took the form of a Sunday School. This was in the 1920s and the school continued until 1939. It recommenced in 1958, meeting first in the State School and then in the Scouts’ Den.

At Eastertide 1958, Captain Roy Buckingham of the Church Army, with the help of his wife, conducted a series of missions within the parish. The interest sparked by this mission led to the purchase of land and the first celebration of Holy Communion by Canon Ward at Rangeville on 13 April 1958. The need for an adequate building on the site became paramount and the parish bought the Christadelphian Church building standing in Herries Street opposite St Luke’s rectory. Rangeville was provided with a hall well-suited, at least for the time being, for housing the Sunday School and providing for the regular Sunday service. The vision of a new church building remained and at a meeting of St Mark’s parishioners in June 1969 it was agreed to open a building fund and press ahead with plans. Towards the end of 1965, Archbishop Strong gave approval for the congregation "to select a name" and "St Mark the Evangelist" was chosen. Final plans and specifications were ready by January 1970. The new church building was complete by August and the service of dedication was conducted by Bishop Hudson on 27 September 1970. St Mark’s was consecrated by Bishop Ralph Wicks on 29 August, 1976.

Quick Links

Scroll Up